How to Survive When You’re Losing the Fight

In this week’s mailbag I’ll discuss different security options for your front door along with how to get the upper hand when your punches are being blocked.

I’ll also explain how to fly under the radar and conceal your weapons purchases, along with which requirements are needed to operate the Baofeng UV-5R.

Lastly, I’ll explain why I have multiple every day carry guns, and both when you need a license for a radio and how to get it.

Let’s dive in…

We bar the door at night. If someone needs to enter to check up on us or in an emergency they would have to break the door down. Are there other alternatives that would enhance security but allow legitimate entry?

– Moshe T

Answer: The security bar you use is designed to stop people from kicking or breaking down the door. Basically, if police or firefighters tried to get in during an emergency there is no doubt it would slow them down.

Of course, they have tools such as axes and they will figure out how to get in during an emergency.

Unfortunately, there is no easy way to disengage these types of security devices when it’s an emergency or even a family member coming over. For this reason, I would simply deal with the fact that first responders may have to break your door in half to get in and you will have to deal with the repairs.

If it’s a life or death situation, this will be a small price to pay. By the way, a good door security device is called the NightLock and I know many people who use it.


So, this is my question: any suggestions when your opponent is blocking your punches? Likely your answer is to keep throwing them and hope that the fact that I am fighting back will take him by surprise. But maybe you have another suggestion.

– David S

Answer: If you are trying to fight off an attacker, you need to hit them where it counts. What I mean is, if you’re throwing punches, it’s probably at their face and most people are used to protecting their face.

But, they don’t protect their “low line” well. All this means is hit them in the groin below the belt. They’ll be so used to you punching high, that they won’t expect a low punch to the crotch.


I am a retired US Army Medic & Intel-Analyst and am now living in the US. I have a CCW permit but am concerned that in the future government agencies might try to confiscate weapons that are registered as they did in New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina in August 2005. Any suggestions on how to avoid this by having my weapon purchases concealed?

– Paul G

Answer: Two ways to do this: Do private party purchases in your state. So, don’t buy a gun from a local gun store, but buy it from a private seller. In the state of Utah where I live, you can do this all day long and no records are kept.

Another and better option for complete anonymity, is to build yourself a “Ghost Gun” that doesn’t have to be registered. Details here on how to do this.


Are you not required to have a FCC license for the type 2 way radio that you use? The Baofeng UV-5R.

– Jess C

Answer: When it comes to these types of radios, license-requirements are based upon the band or frequency you wish to use, not the specific radio model. An amateur radio license is required for transmitting in the amateur bands regardless of equipment used to do so.

With that being said, you can use the UV-5R as a two-way radio using the Multi-Use Radio Service (MURS) on channels in the 151 – 154 MHz spectrum range. These channels are for short-distance, two-way communications using small, portable hand-held radios.


Why do you carry a .380 instead of a 9mm? Why do many people have more than one carry gun?

– Mitch M

Answer: I carry a bunch of guns and, yes, sometimes it’s a .380 if I want to throw a gun in my pocket for a quick trip to the store. A .380 with hollow-point rounds (such as Speer Gold Dot) will still do the job if I need to stop a threat.

But, I do carry a 9mm most of the time. The reason I have more than one carry gun is because I love guns. If I am going up in the mountains, I’ll carry two guns on me, such as a Sig P365 in my pocket and a Springfield 1911 on my hip.


Hi Jason, I just bought 5 radios! Thanks for your update on the FCC action. Don’t we still need radio operators licenses to operate these radios? Where is the best place to get these licenses? Thanks!

– Ron P

Answer: As I mentioned earlier, the good news is, for the Baofeng UV-5R, you do not need any license to operate it within the MURS channels. But, if you do want to get your ham radio license there are several online classes you can take (just do an internet search) and there are also local clubs in many cities in the country that can help you get it.

Also, check out the American Radio Relay League (ARRL), which is the national association for amateur radio.

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.